Monday, October 10, 2011

Ms. Taco Checks In With The 'Girls' Of Fall V. 2.0.

While my initial thoughts on New Girl were pretty positive, the pilot wasn't love at first sight for me. Some parts felt a bit awkward, which isn't necessarily an unusual feeling for a pilot episode. But I think my main issue was the character of Coach (Damon Wayans Jr.). I've never been a fan of "screaming" characters, which explains my dislike of Ruth Fisher. I just don't get it. People don't really talk that way, so it just comes off as really annoying. With Damon Wayans Jr.'s other show Happy Endings getting renewed, New Girl was forced to either recast the character or have him leave. They chose the latter and instead had the original roommate that Jess replaced, Winston (Lamorne Morris), return. I for one am happy they opted to do this as opposed to simply recasting Coach. It's not uncommon to recast characters from a pilot so I'm wondering if the decision to have a different character all together was based on early reactions to the character of Coach. For me, he definitely was the weakest link in the pilot. In contrast to Coach, Winston is a man of fewer words, but his facial expressions do enough. I'm a less is more person, so I'm liking this change a lot. Winston gives the show a bit of a different feel and by episode 3, I found the characters really clicking and the show starting to hit its stride.

What works best about this show right from the beginning is Zooey Deschanel. Just like Dennings and Behrs are the gems of 2 Broke Girls, she is the gem of this one. Not that Jess is much different than most of the characters that Deschanel has played, but no one plays this type of character better that she does. She's the go to girl for this type of role and power to her for cornering the market on quirkiness. I've seen Fox criticized for marketing the character as "adorable" but I don't really see this as a negative. She IS adorable, but maybe not in the way we normally use that term. What's adorable about her is her tendency to break out into song about herself, her desire to wear costume teeth to a wedding just for fun, essentially her ability to be, as a friend of mine recently termed it, "un-self-aware". Characters like this are rare on TV, so she really is a breath of fresh air.

One more final thing before I bring this one to a close. The show seems to be hinting at a possible Jess/Nick pairing. Though I've said that I don't want to see Jess eventually hooking up with all of the guys, I would support this pairing. My hope is that he show will take the time to build this relationship in the right way. Both characters have recently gotten out of relationships and I would hate for them to be each other's rebounds.

Well, as you can see, I'm pretty invested in this show. I actually think it might be my favorite new show of the season. This one's on my watch list for sure. I hope it's on yours too!

5 comments:

  1. Not that Jess is much different than most of the characters that Deschanel has played, but no one plays this type of character better that she does. She's the go to girl for this type of role and power to her for cornering the market on quirkiness.

    This is what I like and don't like about Zooey Deschanel - she plays the quirky girl well but sometimes it feels like anything I'm going to watch with her in it is going to be same old thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I guess for me there's such a dearth of quirkiness (or at least a dearth of quirkiness that sticks around for more than a season or two) that when it is offered I jump on it. But, especially when it includes Zooey D. cause I think she's awesome, hah. I guess I've also really never had a problem with people playing similar roles. I think if you're good at something, then go for it. I find it more annoying when people try to play various things that they aren't very good at just to try to prove that they have range, when a lot of times they don't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it more annoying when people try to play various things that they aren't very good at just to try to prove that they have range, when a lot of times they don't.

    Excellent point!

    ReplyDelete
  4. boo...idk about this show...seems like a 1 season show!

    ReplyDelete